Sunday, January 02, 2005

K9NYO is QRV

My boss graciously let us out early yesterday (New Year's Eve), so I took advantage of the extra time by running over to Radio Shack and picking up some connectors and looking for pre-fab furniture at Target. I found a couple of cabinets and stackable shelves, and it seemed like just the thing for the K9NYO ham shack at my apartment. I went by my Mom & Dad's for New Year's Day dinner, and I packed up the ham shack there. Earlier I put together the cabinets, so they had been sitting there all day waiting for ham gear. It took surprisingly less time to put everything back together than I thought it was going to. I would still like to get a table to put between the two cabinets, but this will work for now. My next step is figuring out what I'm going to do for an HF antenna. I bought a window mounted "bugcatcher" style antenna that MFJ sells, and I'm going to give that a try. Otherwise I may put a dual helically-wound whip dipole type antenna in the attic. I've ordered the "Stealth Amateur Radio" book from the ARRL, and I may find some other ideas in there pertaining to antenna possibilities. I hooked up the Realistic DX-390 to my laptop this afternoon and tuned to 14.070 MHz to monitor some PSK31. I was using MixW2, and it worked surprisingly well with this receiver. I'm looking forward to getting back on the air and operating PSK31 and SSTV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home